Maybe I was navigating through a different blogsphere back in the day because I never really got nominated for “awards”. As far as I remember, we didn’t have this culture in Multiply, and Blogspot, and Tumblr… or at least in the really small communities I belonged to, and in the era that I was in – Hello, Multiply? I should have a senior citizen discount! – I only got the sense of what blog awards are when Gabby shared her old Blogspot for me to read when she and I were contemplating on blogging again. I thought it was just a thing of the (blogging) past until I got nominated by Manay Jolens, a fellow Bicolana and one of the first bloggers I followed and interacted with when I blog-moved to WordPress. My WordPress community has been slowly growing since then, thanks in part to discovering other bloggers from her posts’ comments section. Haha! I guess this is also my way of reintroducing myself…? Thanks, Manay! ❤
Anyhoo, these are the blog rules:
• Thank the blogger that nominated you and provide the link to their blog.
• Answer the 11 questions given to you.
• Name 11 fun facts about yourself.
• Nominate 11 other bloggers.
• Ask your nominees 11 questions.
11 Questions (From Manay Jolens)
1. Why do you blog?
– I should start by saying I started blogging in my teens by posting a collection of open letters to somebody I couldn’t say those things directly to, hoping that one day he would get to read about my ~*feelings*~ Yuck. HAHA. These days though, I blog to document my travels, to attempt reviewing books and movies, to take note of my life musings and realizations… but it’s mostly to declutter and reorganize my thoughts and to channel them into this avenue to keep myself from going insane. And still… to write lifelong (open) love letters to Jet.
2. What do you like most about yourself?
– I can be deeply committed (read: Scorpio) and because of it I take everything I set my heart on very seriously. I am committed to my interests, creativity, being organized, learning, and my relationships. If you mean a lot to me, I could even be committed to yours, too.
3. What is one thing that you are very good at?
– I was told I have a very structured way of explaining and expressing myself.
4. What is your favourite song at the moment?
5. What constellations can you recognize when you look up at a starry sky?
– As much as I love star-gazing, I’m really not that familiar with constellations.
6. What was the last Filipino film you saw?
– Die Beautiful. I didn’t expect it to be such a sad movie. It’s an eye-opener to the realities our LGBTQIA+ friends are experiencing and suffering. :(
(A bit timely that it’s available to stream on Netflix while Jennifer Laude’s murderer was pardoned by this fucking government. You’re not mad yet? Well, you should be.)
7. What goes on in your head when you solve 38 + 47?
– “Do I have to?”
8. When did you last laugh?
– This afternoon. I received a care package for an online event that’s happening soon. I just found it incredible how people are capable of being creative for the sake of love. Uy, hindi para sa akin ha. Lol.
9. What is your favourite alcoholic drink? (If you don’t drink, why not?)
– Beer is still my go-to no-hassle drink and I associate it with afternoons watching sunset on the beach, getting tipsy with Jet, and kissing under the stars. Charot. But I love white wine, too.
10. What has been your most expensive purchase to date?
– A trip to Cebu… which could’ve been spent on more worthwhile purchases. Ay, bitter siya.
11. What are you excited about?
– It doesn’t take much to excite me these days, and the pandemic had me not looking forward to planning anything big… I’m excited about the next episode of The World of the Married, going out to run some errands tomorrow, and the next call from Jet.
11 (parang hindi naman Fun) Facts About Me
– A Re-introduction
1. Hi! My name is Kimberly. I’m mostly called Kim, or Mims by my closest friends.
2. I am 29 years old – just to end the mental calculation my new blogger friends make when I say “Naabutan ko yung coding at shining, shimmering, splendid phase ng Friendster.”
3. I am Scorpio Sun, Taurus Moon, Taurus Rising; INFJ Myers Briggs Personality Type – if those help (in any way?) to explain the energy that I give off. Lol.
4. I am 25% Bikolana and 75% Ilokana. Bikolanx? Ilokanx? Filipinx??? Irita talaga!!!
5. I can’t speak fluent Ilocano but I understand it 60% of the time. I am more fluent in (Legazpi) Bikol and I understand it 80% of the time, and my brain carries extra capacity for other Bikol dialects (sobrang diverse, umusog ka lang ng konti iba na ang salita). My accent also depends on whom I’m conversing with.
6. To explain #5: I grew up in Legazpi. I went to school there from 1st grade until I graduated uni. Legazpi is home. Sometimes I even daydream of settling down there.
To explain #5 further: I am currently residing in La Union – 9 years now. Yup, in the surf town of San Juan, and nope… I don’t know how to surf. I haven’t tried surfing yet, boo! We moved here after I graduated and after I took the boards.
7. I am a registered nurse. I have worked in a government hospital as a Pediatric Nurse and as a Labor / Delivery Room Nurse; I have also tried Community Health Nursing – both under Department of Health. Somehow, these stints radicalized me but, admittedly, I still have a lot to learn. I also tried School Nursing which I thoroughly enjoyed, and if situations were only favorable and if only I wasn’t aiming for more, I would have kept that job.
8. I have always kept diaries / journals. It’s something my mum had encouraged me to do ever since I learned how to construct proper sentences; probably as early as first grade. In 2018-2019, I tried writing every day, and it’s been very therapeutic and aided so well in helping me remember (because I am forgetful).
9. I have been blogging since I was 15 years old. (I just realized that’s half of my life, yikes.) Pre-social media, my Multiply (RIP) then Blogspot then Tumblr were my safe spaces. There were brief breaks every now and then but I always always go back to blogging, especially now that I am taking my nth social media hiatus. Weh?
10. I can play the guitar, so-so… and I taught myself how to play the ukulele. 😊
11. And oh, I am also into photography. I looove taking photos. The technical aspects of it though, I’m still learning from Jet who’s the biggest photography geek ever.
Disclaimer: My WordPress community is still really small so I only have a few bloggers to nominate, those who probably haven’t been nominated for this award yet.
• Her Name is Gabrielle
– a mental health advocate, one of my favorite bibliophiles, and one of my very best friends.
• Better than a CT scan
– the first WordPress blogger I followed (whom I don’t know personally), one of my favorite bloggers, her entries truly inspire me, a darling, and sings and plays great covers of songs.
• And Words Are All I Have
– one of the very few male high school friends I got to keep until adulthood, and whose “An Open Letter to my Beloved” entry is still a favorite; he hasn’t blogged in a long time but I’m still hoping he would again.
• a broken strong-willed bella
– whom I’d like to think I’ve inspired to start blogging (lol), one of the most career-optimistic people I have ever met.
• I came, I saw, I wrote an article about it
– a Pinoy spelunker, apparently the world is smaller than I thought because he has known Jet from Nursing school, and whose Twitter is very informative and funny too.
– a new blogger friend whom I spent a good amount of time conversing with about the struggles of Pinoy nurses.
• Shades and Hues
– who has a very profound, creative, and detailed way of writing which I admire.
(Just noticed that 6/8 of these people are nurses; 8/8 have gone to Nursing school. 😜)
11 Questions (From Me)
1. Why do you blog?
2. What’s the story behind your blog title?
3. List 3 places in the Philippines that you’re dying to visit. #lovelocal Chos.
4. What is your favorite thing about your hometown?
5. What is one song on your playlist that you will never skip?
6. What is your go-to feel-good movie?
7. What are you most grateful for this week?
8. Describe the best year of your life so far.
9. What are you most complimented on?
10. Do you believe in astrology? (Zodiac: Sun, Moon, and Rising signs?)
11. Show me a favorite photo you took and posted online.
Did I do it right? 😜 Anyhoo, anyone is free to answer these questions, too! 😉 I’d love to read them.